Marinette County LST-953 - History

Marinette County LST-953 - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Marinette County

A county in northeastern Wisconsin.

(LST-953: dp. 1,625(lt.) ; 1. 328'; b. 50'; d. 11'2"; cpl. 119; a. 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST-411)

LST-953 was laid down 15 September 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Hingham, Mass.; launched 15 October; commissioned 7 November, Lt. T. W. Sexton in command.

LST-953 commenced an east coast shakedown 12 November 1944 and hastened to join LST Flotilla 21 already at Pearl Harbor. Three months of intensive training exercises preceded her April 1945 voyage to Guam. After a series of supply missions in the southern Marianas, she reached Okinawa in the war zone 26 June. For 5 weeks Marine Corps troops and vehicles were shuttled around the island to facilitate mopup operations.

The day Japan announced acceptance of surrender terms LST-953 returned to the Marianas. She carried elements of the 2d Marine Division to Nagasaki 24 September for occupation duty and men of the Army's 24th Division to Matsuyama 27 October. A "Magic Carpet" voyage back to San Diego concluded her duty in the Pacific.

In July 1946 she transited the Panama Canal and steamed to Beaumont, Tex. Decommissioned 12 November the ship served the Naval Reserve Program until towed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., 17 June 1950 for berthing in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She was renamed Marinette County (LST-953) 1 July 1955. On 1 November 1958, her name was struck from the Navy list.

LST-953 received one battle star for World War II service.


Service history

World War II, 1944–1945

LST-953 commenced an east coast shakedown on 12 November 1944 and hastened to join LST Flotilla 21 already at Pearl Harbor. Three months of intensive training exercises preceded her April 1945 voyage to Guam. After a series of supply missions in the southern Marianas, she reached Okinawa in the War Zone on 26 June. For five weeks Marine Corps troops and vehicles were shuttled around the island to facilitate mop-up operations. The day Japan announced acceptance of surrender terms, LST-953 returned to the Marianas.

Post-war activities, 1945–1946

She carried elements of the 2nd Marine Division to Nagasaki on 24 September for occupation duty and men of the Army's 24th Infantry Division to Matsuyama on 27 October. A "Magic Carpet" voyage back to San Diego concluded her duty in the Pacific.

Decommissioning

In July 1946 she transited the Panama Canal and steamed to Beaumont, Texas. Decommissioned on 12 November, the ship served the Naval Reserve Program until towed to Green Cove Springs, Florida on 17 June 1950 for berthing in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She was renamed USS Marinette County (LST-953) on 1 July 1955. On 1 November 1958, her name was struck from the Naval Vessel Register. Her final fate is unknown.


How to Print

To print a full, legible page of this article, follow the instructions below. Note: some browsers and operating systems behave differently.

  • Right click on the page image and select "Copy."
  • Open a new document in Word or in an image processing program (like Microsoft Word or Paint). To insert the image into the document, select "Paste".
  • Resize the image to fill the page, if necessary.
  • If the article has several pages, repeat these steps for each page.
  • Print the document, and then name and save it for future reference.

Also, we can make a photocopy of the microform record on your behalf and mail it to you for $15. See more about purchasing copies at the Society.


Marinette County LST-953 - History

LST - 951-999

LST - 951 was laid down on 8 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 7 October 1944 sponsored by Mrs. 0. P. Thomas, Jr. and commissioned on 31 October 1944, Lt. L. J. Kelly in command. During World War 11, LST-951 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. On 15 September 1945, she was redesignated LSTH- 951 and performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid- January 1946. She was decommissioned on 8 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 14 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping. LST-951 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 952 was laid down on 11 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 11 October 1944 and commissioned on 3 November 1944. During World War 11, LST-952 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. On 15 September 1945, she was redesignated LSTH- 952 and performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early May 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on I August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1947. On 10 October 1947, the ship was sold to Luria Bros. & Co., Inc., of Philadelphia, Pa., for scrapping. LST-952 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 953 was laid down on 15 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 15 October 1944 and commissioned on 7 November 1944, Lt. T. W. Sexton in command. During World War II, LST-953 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Marinette County (LST-953) (q.v.) after a county in northeastern Wisconsin. Earlier, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. Decommissioned on 12 November 1946 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Marinette County was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958. LST-953 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 954 was redesignated ARL-17 and named Numitor (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 955 was redesignated ARL-19 and named Patroclus (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 956 was redesignated ARB-7 and named Sarpedon (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 957 was laid down on 30 September 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 30 October 1944 and commissioned on 20 November 1944, Lt. Samuel B. Wardwell, Jr., USNR, in command. During World War 11, LST-957 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early October 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 20 May 1946 and sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 5 December 1947. She was struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1948. LST-957 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 958 was laid down on 3 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc, launched on 31 October 1944 and commissioned on 25 November 1944. During World War 11, LST-958 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 14 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 March that same year. On 20 December 1946, the tank landing ship was sold. LST-958 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 959 was laid down on 6 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 4 November 1944 and commissioned on 29 November 1944, Ens. J. H. Giesmann, Jr., in command. During World War II, LST-959 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-May 1946. She was decommissioned on 13 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was stripped and destroyed at Subic Bay, Philippines. LST-959 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 960 was laid down on 11 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 8 November 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Helen Grande and commissioned on 2 December 1944. During World War II, LST-960 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 4 April 1948, she was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping. LST-960 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 961 was laid down on 13 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 11 November 1944 and commissioned on 6 December 1944. During World War II, LST-961 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the Palawan Island landings in March 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 23 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 10 December 1947, the ship was sold to The Learner Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping. LST-961 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 962 was redesignated ARL-22 and named Romulus (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 963 was redesignated ARL-24 and named Sphinx (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 964 was laid down on 24 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 22 November 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Ailene Borland and commissioned on 16 December 1944. Following World War II, LST-964 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She was decommissioned on 27 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 17 January 1947, the ship was sold to Compania Naviera y Commercial Perez Compano S.A. for operation.

LST-965 was laid down on 27 October 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 25 November 1944 and commissioned on 20 December 1944. Following World War II, LST-965 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 3 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year. On 23 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Boston Metals Corp., Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.

LST-966 was redesignated AGP-15 and named Callisto (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 967 was redesignated ARB-9 and named Ulysses (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-968 was laid down on 7 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 9 December 1944 sponsored by Mrs. John S. Eversole and commissioned on 3 January 1945, Lt. (jg.) Rayburn M. Quinn in command. Following World War II, LST-968 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 10 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil and Refining Co., Houston, Tex., for operation.

LST-969 was laid down on 10 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 13 December 1944 and commissioned on 9 January 1945, Lt (jg.) A. K. Price in command. Following World War II, LST-969 performed logistic services between Hawaii and the west coast of the United States in 1945 and 1946 while assigned to the Pacific Fleet. She was decommissioned on 12 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 25 April 1947, the ship was sold to Trailerships, Inc., for operation.

LST-970 was laid down on 14 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 16 December 1944 sponsored by Major Anne B. Cowan, WAC and commissioned on 13 January 1945. During World War II, LST-970 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 25 April 1947, the ship was sold to Trailerships, Inc., for operation. LST-970 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 971 was redesignated ARL-13 and named Menelaus (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST - 972 was laid down on 21 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 22 December 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Margaret Avery and commissioned on 22 January 1945. Following World War II, LST-972 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She was decommissioned on 25 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 29 May 1947, the ship was transferred to the Maritime Administration for disposal.

LST - 973 was laid down on 25 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 27 December 1944 and commissioned on 27 January 1945. Following World War II, LST-973 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She was decommissioned on 24 May 1946 and transferred to the Army. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 29 September 1947 but reinstated on 6 September 1950 for service during the Korean War. Decommissioned again on 7 November 1951, LST-973 was transferred to the French Navy that same date. She was struck from the Navy list for the second time on 20 November 1951. LST-973 earned four battle stars and one award of the Navy Unit Commendation for Korean service.

LST - 974 was laid down on 28 November 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 31 December 1944 and commissioned on 31 January 1945, Lt. A. C. Lane in command. Following World War II, LST-974 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-May 1946. She was decommissioned and transferred to the State Department for disposal on 14 May 1946. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946.

LST - 975 was laid down on 1 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 6 January 1945 sponsored by Miss Alice J. Varian and commissioned on 3 February 1946, Lt. David S. Stanley in command. Arriving in the Asiatic-Pacific theater at the end of the war, LST-975 conveyed troops and equipment between Philippine ports until she was decommissioned on 16 April 1946 at Subic Bay and turned over to the Army for Far East operations. She was recommissioned on 28 August 1960 and saw extensive service during the Korean War. The tank landing ship was named Marion County (LST-975) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in 17 states. She alternated service with the Navy and MSTS until transferred under the Military Assistance Program to the Republic of Vietnam on 12 April 1962. Marion County operated with that country's navy as Cam Ranh (HQ-500). She was struck from the Navy list on I June 1963. LST-975 earned six battle stars for Korean service.

LST-976 was redesignated ARB-8 and named Telamon (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-977 was redesignated AGP-14 and named Alecto (q.v.) on 14 August 1944.

LST-978 was laid down on 15 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 20 January 1945 sponsored by Mrs. Anna H. Phelan and commissioned on 15 February 1945. Following World War II, LST-978 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 10 December 1947 7, the ship was sold to the Salco Iron & Metal Co. for scrapping.

LST-979 was laid down on 19 December 1944 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. launched on 23 January 1945 sponsored by Mrs. A. H. Balsley and commissioned on 20 February 1945, Lt. Hunter A. Hogan, Jr., USNR, in command. Following World War II, LST-979 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 5 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 4 November 1947, the ship was sold to the Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping.

LST-980 was laid down on 9 December 1943 at the Boston Naval Shipyard launched on 27 January 1944 sponsored by Miss Imelda M. Munzing and commissioned on 26 February 1944, Lt. W. F. Westfall in command. During World War II, LST-980 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-980 saw extensive service with the Amphibious Fleet, Atlantic. Named Meeker County (LST-980) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Minnesota, she was decommissioned on 16 December 1955 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Modernized and recommissioned on 23 September 1966, the tank landing ship operated in the Vietnam theater commencing in 1967 and ending in 1970. LST-980 earned one battle star for World War II service and nine battle stars, the Meritorious Unit Commendation, and the Navy Unit Commendation for Vietnam service. LST-981 LST-981 was laid down on 9 December 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 27 January 1944 sponsored by Miss Helen Madden and commissioned on 11 March 1944, Lt. Clyde A. Wilson in command. During World War II, LST-981 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Transferred to the AsiaticPacific theater she engaged in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-May 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 30 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 12 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Salco Iron & Metal Co. for scrapping. LST-981 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 982 was laid down on 22 December 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 10 February 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Orrin R. Hewitt and commissioned on 19 March 1944, Lt. (jg.) W. A. Breen, Jr., USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-982 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Transferred to the AsiaticPacific theater, she engaged in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 25 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to Bosey, Philippines. LST-982 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 983 was laid down on 22 December 1943 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 10 February 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Neal B. Farwell and commissioned on 25 March 1944, Lt. Woodrow W. Weir, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-983 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, LST-983 performed extensive service with the Amphibious Fleet, Atlantic. Renamed Middlesex County (LST-983) (q.v.) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Virginia, she was decommissioned on 10 January 1956 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 27 September 1961, Middlesex County operated in the Atlantic and Caribbean until decommissioning for the last time on 15 October 1969. LST-983 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 984 was laid down on 3 January 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 25 February 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Charles J. Donahue and commissioned on 1 April 1944, Ens. E. R. Baker in command. Following World War II, LST-984 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-March 1946. She was decommissioned on 25 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 19 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., of Houston, Tex., for operation.

LST - 985 was laid down on 3 January 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 25 February 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Charles E. Schofield and commissioned on 7 April 1944. Following World War 11, LST-985 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid- March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 13 October 1947, the ship was sold to William E. Skinner for scrapping.

LST - 986 was laid down on 15 January 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 5 March 1944 and commissioned on 14 April 1944, Lt. Harold G. Waite, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-986 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Capture and occupation of Guam-July and August 1944 Lingayen Gulf landings-January 1945 Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April and May 1945 Following the war, LST-986 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 4 November 1948, the ship was sold to the Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, Calif., for scrapping. LST-986 earned three battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 987 was laid down on 2 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 5 March 1944 and commissioned on 19 April 1944, Lt. William H. Pennington in command. Following World War II, LST-987 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She was decommissioned on 3 September 1946, but she continued training of Naval Reserves. LST-987 entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla., in May 1950. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Millard County (LST-987) (q.v.) after a county in western Utah. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1960 and sold to the Federal German Navy in August 1961.

LST - 988 was laid down on 10 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 12 March 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Winfred K. Buckmaster and commissioned on 25 April 1944, Lt. (jg.) Charles E. Craig in command. During World War II, LST-988 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. LST-988 served as a Naval Reserve training ship until decommissioned on 13 June 1950 and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 7 June 1951, LST-988 operated as a unit of the Atlantic Fleet in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and the Mediterranean. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Mineral County (LST-988) (q.v.) after counties in Colorado, Montana, Nevada, and West Virginia. On 11 October 1957, Mineral County was decommissioned once again and stripped preparatory to her sinking as a target ship. She was struck from the Navy list on 27 September 1957. LST-988 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 989 was laid down on 10 February 1944 by the Boston Navy Yard launched on 12 March 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Arthur L. Anderson and commissioned on 28 April 1944, Ens. H. L. Campbell in command. During World War II, LST-989 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Fol lowing the war, LST-989 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She was decommissioned on 7 October 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 13 November that same year. On 25 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., of Houston, Tex., for operation. LST-989 earned one battle star for World War 11 service.

LST - 990 was laid down on 26 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 27 March 1944 and commissioned on 1 May 1944, Lt. William C. Greenleaf, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-990 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands - September and October 1944 Leyte landings-October and November 1944 Zambales-Subic Bay-January 1945 Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-March through June 1945 Following the war, LST-990 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 26 September 1947, the ship was sold to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping. LST-990 earned four battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 991 was laid down on 26 February 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 27 March 1944 sponsored by Miss Dorothy Ann Govostes and commissioned on 6 May 1944, Lt. Randall R. Shake, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-991 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands - September and October 1944 Leyte landings-October and November 1944 Lingayen Gulf landings-January 1945 Zambales-Subic Bay-January 1945 Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April through June 1945 Following the war, LST-991 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early May 1946. LST-991 earned five battle stars for World 'War II service.

LST - 992 was laid down on 5 March 1944 by the Boston Navy Yard launched on 7 April 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Frances C. Landers and commissioned on 10 May 1944, Lt. Stanley J. Kerr, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-992 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Par East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 9 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 13 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping. LST-992 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 993 was laid down on 7 March 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 7 April 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Gladys L. Morey and commissioned on 12 May 1944, Lt. A. W. Bates, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-993 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Leyte landings-November 1944 Lingayen Gulf landings-January 1945 Tarakan Island operation-April and May 1945 Following the war, LST-993 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early June 1946. She was decommissioned on 1 June 1946. On 7 February 1948, the ship was transferred to the Republic of China. She was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1948. LST-993 earned three battle stars for World War 11 service. LST-994 LST-994 was laid down on 12 March 1944 by the Boston Navy Yard launched on 17 April 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Lillian A. Finnerty and commissioned on 17 May 1944, Lt. R. P. Gonder, USNR, in command. During World War 11, LST-994 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Par East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 31 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 23 December 1947, the ship was sold to Pablo N. Ferrari & Co. for operation. LST-994 earned one battle star for World War II service. LST-995 LST-995 was laid down on 12 March 1944 by the Boston Navy Yard launched on 2 May 1944 and commissioned on 20 May 1944, Lt. (jg.) G. W. Chamberlin, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-995 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 15 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 4 November 1947, the ship was sold to the Northwest Merchandising Service for operation. LST-995 earned one battle star for World War II service. LST-996 LST-996 was laid down on 27 March 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 2 May 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Ursula A. Hall and commissioned on 23 May 1944, Ens. C. A. Leach, Jr., USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-996 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater, she engaged in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April through June 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 May that same year. On 12 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Hugo Neu Steel Products Corp., New York, N.Y., for scrapping. LST-996 earned two battle stars for World War II service.

LST - 997 was laid down on 27 March 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 12 May 1944 sponsored by Mrs. Victoria V. Lynn and commissioned on 27 May 1944, Lt. L. R. Dhuyvetter, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-997 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid- November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 7 March 1947 and struck from the Navy list on 4 April that same year. On 15 June 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping. LST-997 earned one battle star for World War II service.

LST - 998 was laid down on 8 April 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 14 May 1944 sponsored by Miss Olga M. Lessa and commissioned on 29 May 1944, Lt. R. W. Harter, USNR, in command. Following World War II, LST-998 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that *same year. On 4 November 1948, the ship was sold to the Northwest Merchandising Service for operation.

LST - 999 was laid down on 8 April 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 14 May 1944 sponsored by Miss Teresa C. McDevitt and commissioned on 30 May 1944, Ens. V. L. Warner in command. During World War II, LST-999 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the following operations: Leyte landings-October 1944 Mindanao Island landings April 1945 Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-March through June 1945 LST-999 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 3 November 1947, the ship was sold to Dulien Steel Products, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping. LST-999 earned three battle stars for World War II service. LST-1000 LST-1000 was laid down on 18 April 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard launched on 26 May 1944 and commissioned on 14 June 1944, Lt. Wesson S. Hertrais, USNR, in command. During World War II, LST-1000 was assigned to the Asiatic- Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 13 June 1948, the ship was sold to Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping. LST-1000 earned one battle star for World War II service.


Featured Resources

Ancestry Library Edition

In Library Use Only. Temporary Remote Access to a vast collection of Census records, birth, marriage & death records, immigration and military records, directories, passenger lists, and more.

Historic Newspapers

A collection of local, national, and international newspaper resources including Wisconsin Newspaper Archive, a collection of over 700 Wisconsin newspapers covering the years 1813 - 2017.

Recollection Wisconsin

The Recollection Wisconsin program brings together more than 200,000 historical resources from across the state and provides new opportunities to discover and share community history. A dozen InfoSoup libraries have contributed to this collection.

HeritageQuest

A large collection of genealogical and historical sources including unique primary sources, local, and family histories, U.S. Federal Censuses, books, cemetery records, city directories, military records and more.

Local & State Digital Collections

Recollection Wisconsin

The following InfoSoup Libraries have collections that can be searched on Recollection Wisconsin and DPLA. You can also visit their collections directly from the following links:

Appleton Public Library Local History

95 volumes, including plat maps, city directories, local histories, building surveys and more. Part of the University of Wisconsin Digital Collections.

Appleton History

A wide range of resources created and maintained by the Appleton Public Library.

Brown, Door, Kewaunee, Oconto and Shawano Counties: Historical Atlases, Directories, Plat Maps & High School Yearbooks

Plat books and atlases for four northeastern Wisconsin counties.

Kaukauna Public Library

A collection of online resources on the history of Kaukauna.

Marinette County Local History

Plat books and Yearbooks from the Marinette County Library System

Shawano City-County Library Collection

Local newspaper articles and pictures about the 1975 Novitiate Takeover by the Menominee Warrior Society, a 34 day siege that drew national attention.

Fox Valley Memory Photos

Over 1400 images from collections at the Appleton Public Library and the Outagamie County Historical Society.

Local History Texts

These local history texts are available online and are fully searchable.

History of Outagamie County (1911)

Often referred to as Ryan's History, this is a major resource for Outagamie County history.

Pioneers of Outagamie County (1895)

Biographical sketches and photos of many residents of settlements in Outagamie County in 1895.

Land of the Fox, Saga of Outagamie County (1949)

Published in conjunction with the Outagamie County Centennial observance.

Commemorative Biographical Record of the Fox River Valley Counties of Brown, Outagamie and Winnebago (1895)

Biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, and of many of the early settled families.

Pioneering the Upper Midwest: Books from Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, ca. 1820-1910

Over 130 books of regional history from the Library of Congress.

More Statewide Resources

The Wisconsin Historical Society maintains an ever-growing collection of online resources. Their research portal lists the numerous databases, collections and online tools.

Wisconsin Historical Images

Search or browse a fraction of the 3 million images in the Archives of the Wisconsin Historical Society.

U.W. Digital Collections

Providing "leadership in the creation of quality digital resources from libraries and archives." For local history materials see the State of Wisconsin Collection.

View Title List. Powered by Wisconsin Newspaper Association

National Collections

Digital Public Library of America

DPLA brings together digital collections from america’s libraries, archives, and museums.

Library of Congress

Vast collection of written and spoken words, photos, sound recordings, film, maps, and sheet music that document the American experience.

BadgerLink. Library card may be required from outside a library.

Family Search

This Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) site has a vast search engine covering all aspects of family history.

Web Sites

A very small selection of the many thousands of web sites available to those interested in local history and genealogy.

Wisconsin GenWeb

Part of the USGenWeb project of volunteers working together to provide free websites for genealogical research in every county. To view counties in other states, go to the USGenWeb Project homepage.

Fox Valley Memory

The project’s mission is to increase local history resources and awareness through collaboration, communication and web publishing. Includes photos, local and regional histories, and links to other web sites.

Cyndi's List

One of the oldest, largest, and most popular starting points for online genealogy. The site categorizes and annotates the full spectrum of genealogy material available on the web. Includes sections for Wisconsin and individual Wisconsin Localities.

Ellis Island

Free search of Ellis Island/Port of New York passenger lists records.

Family Search

This Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) site has a vast search engine covering all aspects of family history.

The National Archives

Information on doing research at the National Archives, using their microfilm rental program, and access to a growing collection of online resources.

RootsWeb

The oldest and largest free genealogy site.

Subscription Databases

These premier genealogy databases are available to all InfoSoup library patrons.

Ancestry Library Edition

In library use only. Temporary Remote Access with Library Card. If you don't have a personal subscription to Ancestry.com, stop by the library to search this vast vast collection of Census records, birth, marriage & death records, immigration and military records, directories, passenger lists, and more!

HeritageQuest

Includes census data, family records, local histories, military records and PERSI (the PERiodical Source Index). Library card number may be required from outside a library.

Wisconsin Newspaper Archive

A large collection of over 700 Wisconsin newspapers covering the years 1813 - 2017. Search by name or keyword or browse newspapers by location. Titles available are included in the Wisconsin State Historical Society Wisconsin newspapers available online database. Made available by InfoSoup Libraries. From outside a library, users will need to enter their InfoSoup library card number and PIN.

Plat Maps & Atlases

Listing by county of land ownership maps from InfoSoup libraries that are available online via the U.W. Digital archives.

Brown County

Door County

Kewaunee County

Marinette County

Outagamie County

Shawano County

Atlases and plat books are available online from other counties in Wisconsin. You can browse Infosoup or search the U.W. Digital Collections.

Plat maps both old and new are also available in InfoSoup libraries. Search Real property - Wisconsin - and browse by county or do a keyword search for County/City name and Maps.


Marinette County, Wisconsin

Marinette County is a county located in the state of Wisconsin. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 41,749. Its county seat is Marinette, which now includes the former independent village of Menekaunee as a neighborhood.

Marinette County is part of the Marinette, WI–MI Micropolitan Statistical Area.

Etymology - Origin of Marinette County Name

Marinette was christened Marguerite Chevallier but later through some quirk came to be known by the then popular "nickname" of "Marinette," the diminutive for Marie Antoinette, Queen of France, whose tragic death at the time of the French Revolution, caused much excitement among the French settlers in this territory. The French and Indians on the river when pronouncing "Marie Antoinette" would shorten the name by pronouncing it "Marinette." Holding our Marguerite in high esteem they resorted to calling her "Queen Marinette," queen of their adopted country, thus the origin of the name. Marinette took it title from the village which was named for Marinette Chevalier (1793-1865), a French Chippewa metis, wife of John B. Jacobs, and later of William Farnsworth the last-named settled on this site in 1822. There had previously been here a trading-post of the American Fur Company, and it continued as a trade center for many years, largely unded the direction of Marinette, who had much business ability. The town was platted by her son, John B. Jacobs. The name is an abbreviation of Marie Antoinette Marinette-contraction of Marie Antoinette, name of semi-civilized Indian chief.

[Source: Article on Queen Marinette by Fred C. Burke, in Marinette Eagle Star, Dec 7, 1946. Hist. No. Wis. p. 578 Milwaukee Journal, February 21st, 1932 Card file at the WHS Library reference desk]

Demographics:

Marinette County History

Marinette County is ideally located in Northeast Wisconsin on the shores of Green Bay bordering the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

In February 1851, Oconto County separated from Brown County, and held the distinction of being the largest county in Wisconsin until it was divided to half its original size by act of the Wisconsin Legislature, March 3, 1879, when Marinette County was formed. Marinette County is named after "Queen" Marinette, a 19th Century trading post owner who was the daughter of a Menominee princess and a French-Canadian trapper. Located in northeast Wisconsin, the county seat is Marinette.

Geography: Land and Water

As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,550 square miles (4,015 km 2 ), of which, 1,402 square miles (3,631 km 2 ) of it is land and 148 square miles (384 km 2 ) of it (9.57%) is water.


Marinette County LST-953 - History

Title: Pine View Health Care Center Records
Inclusive Dates: 1906-1993

Quantity: 4.0 c.f. (1 archives box, 1 flat box, 1 record center carton, and 4 volumes)


Note:

There is a restriction on access to most of this material see the Administrative/Restriction Information portion of this finding aid for details.

URL to cite for this finding aid: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/wiarchives.uw-whs-mari0030

The bulk of the records in this series are from the time period when the institution was an insane asylum and hospital, 1906-1973. The only records of the Poor House list residents from 1915 to 1941, and records of the institution as a Health Care Center consist of a record of admissions and discharges, 1974-1993.

To find the most comprehensive information on an individual at the institution before 1942, consult the “Admission Book (Hospital), 1906-1974.” Entries are arranged roughly by admission date. Note the case number and then consult the “Inmate Record Books”: Volume 1, 1906-1920 for case numbers 1-299 or Volume 2, 1920-1941 for case numbers 300-760.

The Inmate Record Books contain the following information for each individual: name, case number, who was be to charged for the care, legal evidence for insanity, record of transfers and institutional treatment, names of relatives and addresses, personal history, record of leaves of absence, family history, record of restraint and seclusion, record of medical treatment while in this institution, and copy of the doctor's report at the time of admission.

Volume 3 appears to be the initial record book with the information transcribed to Volumes 1 and 2. In other words, the patient information in Volume 3 and much more can be found in Volumes 1 and 2. Volume 3, however, does contain a sketch of Pine View Cemetery plots as well as a sketch of residents' plots in an unidentified Catholic cemetery. Plots are labeled with the occupant's name. The sketches were created in approximately 1918.

Documentation of patients admitted after 1941 is statistical and does not include the medical and personal information that is found in earlier records. To find information on an individual consult the appropriate admission book (1906-1974, 1974-1993 and/or “Residents Admitted before 1974”) which gives the name, admission number, age, referral, admission date, and discharge date. Entries are arranged roughly by admission date.

The Movement of Population Book, 1914-1978, is arranged by date and provides a snapshot of the Asylum's population on any given day. It lists the names, case numbers, and residences of patients received or leaving the institution and where they came from or method of discharge. It also includes the total number of patients in the institution. Pages 1-121 record the movement of Asylum/Pine View residents and pages 182-200 record movement of the Poor House population, 1915-1941. These are the only records in this series for the Poor House.

The Auxiliary's Press Books contain newspaper clippings, photographs, and programs, 1965-1984, and document resident activities, staff activities, and the institution's role in the community.

Access Restrictions

Records which identify individuals receiving care or aid are confidential under Wis. Stats. 51.30 and 49.001. Access to these records is possible under certain circumstances however. Records more than 75 years old are open for research. Access to records less than 75 years old may be granted under the following conditions: 1) Prospective users submit to the Archives a written request describing the project to be undertaken, the records to be used, and the proposed product of their research requests for information about specific individuals or cases will not be permitted 2) Prospective users sign a written agreement that there shall be no disclosure, either directly or deductively, of personally identifiable information taken from these files and 3) Photocopying of material by the researcher is prohibited.


Suamico man dead after dump truck hits tractor from behind in Marinette Co.

(WFRV) – One person is dead after a crash in Marinette County on Highway 141 in the Town of Beaver.

Marinette County Sheriff’s responded to reports of a crash Friday, June 11 around 8:50 p.m. on HWY 141 near County P. The crash involved a tractor and dump truck towing a loader.

An initial investigation revealed that the dump truck was traveling northbound and hit the northbound traveling tractor towing a grain drill from behind. The dump truck started on fire and the driver died at the scene.

The driver is being identified as 59-year-old Randy Gawryleski of Suamico. The driver of the tractor and the child riding with them were not injured.

Download the free WFRV News app today

The crash remains under investigation.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


As of the census [9] of 2000, there were 43,384 people, 17,585 households, and 11,834 families residing in the county. The population density was 31 people per square mile (12/km²). There were 26,260 housing units at an average density of 19 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.08% White, 0.23% Black or African American, 0.50% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 0.69% from two or more races. 0.75% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 37.8% were of German, 11.7% Polish, 6.4% French and 5.6% American ancestry according to Census 2000.

There were 17,585 households out of which 28.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.40% were married couples living together, 7.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.70% were non-families. 28.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.92.

In the county, the population was spread out with 23.50% under the age of 18, 8.10% from 18 to 24, 25.90% from 25 to 44, 25.00% from 45 to 64, and 17.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 97.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.00 males.


USS Marinette County LST-953 Coffee Cup Mug

Regular price $ 29.99 From $ 24.99

USS Marinette County LST-953 Box Framed Canvas Art

Regular price $ 169.99 Sale price $ 119.99

USS Marinette County LST-953 Art Print

Regular price $ 89.99 Sale price $ 59.99


Watch the video: Маршал Тухачевский тайна Красного Бонапарта. Евгений Спицын. На реальных событиях. История СССР.